Re: Reducing kernel compilation time

On 9/24/2011 9:22 AM, Camaleón wrote:
Hello,

I had to compile the latest upstream kernel sources to make some
debugging with my wifi drivers (from staging) and discovered that
compilation took ~5 hours.

That's much for testing purposes.

Compilation takes place in a netbook governed by Intel's Atom N455 with 2
GiB of RAM and I would like to reduce the compilation time.

I'm using the same ".config" file I have for the current Debian stock
kernel (to avoid missing some modules I may need) and just added
"CONFIG_MATOM=y" but it takes almost the same time.

I don't need nothing special, just to be able to boot the system, test
the staging drivers and then remove/compile a new kernel again so wasting
the less time in the process would be great :-)

Any trick?

5 hours?  Did you say 5 hours?

I have a 10 year old dual Mendocino 550 machine with only 384MB of PC100 that takes about 30 minutes to compile my custom kernels using make -j2.

I'd guess you're including the kitchen sink. Don't build the hundreds of driver modules your machines won't ever use. That is the key to reducing build time.

--
Stan