Re: a quick Q: iceweasle add on

On 09/23/2011 05:42 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
lina wrote:
Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
You could just use apt-get or aptitude to install the youtube-dl package.
To use it you can just issue a command like

$ youtube-dl<address of YouTube video you want to download>

That will put the video in your home directory.

I use youtube-dl all of the time.  Works great.  But as the youtube
site changes you need to keep the script updated.  Since it is just a
script usually the latest one from Sid can be used on the old Stable
with no trouble.  Works for me.

  $ youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I&feature=related
[1] 18854

You almost always need to quote the URL.  See that "&" in it?  That
ampersand is special to the shell.  It says to run the commandin the
background.  URLs often have those.  Therefore you often need to quote
the URL when used as a command line option argument.

Bob

Yes, I'm glad you got back to lina on this. It's something I didn't think to mention. I tried to answer her from work but the network boundary stuff there took a direct lightning strike -- as in an actual hole in the ceiling, floor, and two racks. Nice end to the week -- as in no end to my week. Got to get a contractor in there and sort it out.

I always have youtube-dl and cclive installed. Sometimes the current one in testing works when the other one doesn't. The iceweasel plug-ins tend to annoy me, but I can't argue the ease of use issue. Most people are going to be happier with them, I think.

Best regards,
Gilbert