Re: regards the /

Hi Lina,

Am Donnerstag, 22. September 2011 schrieb lina:
> > > Thanks very much for explanation.
> > >
> > > Tell you one secret, I didn't know LANG means language environment.
> > > When I test each directory.
> > > I avoid using the up arrow to get history. I tried to type each
> > > time to enhance memory of it. How silly I was/am.
> >
> > He... that's a good gimmick I should also use to improve my memory
> > (it takes me some time to remember the commands I barely use) but
> > I'm so lazy than even to run history commands I use "!+history
> > number" instead of retyping it again :-P
>
>  Ha ... it's not easy to remember the history number.

Then press Ctrl-R to search backwards in history. That is one of my
favorite functions in bash, zsh and other Unix shells.

Say you worked in a directory named "somecoolstuff" some days ago:

- press Ctrl-R
- type "someco"
- usually its there already
- to further go backward use Ctrl-R
- if you want to reuse a line press cursor right or left to edit it or
just return to send it to the shell again

Unfortunately search forwarding once you searched backwards once to much
is a bit of an issue. Ctrl-S stops output of the shell which seems
basically frozen then. But not on all Debian versions. Can be continued
with Ctrl-Q. Usually searching forward and stopping the output use
lowercase versus uppercase s, not sure what for which, but exactly this
does not appear to work on konsole from KDE 4.6.5 or gnome-terminal,
lxterminal or xterm from Squeeze.

Ciao,