Re: 100% used / file system. Help!

On 9/20/2011 3:01 PM, Lisi wrote:

My / does not contain /home, which is on its own large drive.

It contains everything else.

hda1 is /, hda2 is swap.

My / has been trundling along at around 30% full for years.  Now it has
suddenly filled up completely.

This thread has been going on too long Lisi. Let's get this fixed already. :) Run these commands to see if you've run out of free space or run out of inodes:

# df -h -x tmpfs
# df -i -h -x tmpfs

Please share the output.

This will also tell us the total size of your / filesystem. You stated it ran at 30% for many years. From that we should be able to calculate how much additional space you used recently to fill the filesystem, if indeed you are actually out of free space. We can then go looking for files of that size, or a dir of that size, and delete them/it.

If, on the other hand, you're out of inodes and not out of free space, we will go looking for a directory that has filled up with many thousands of small files, which is what eats inodes. Once located you can delete the rogue directory.

--
Stan