Re: Debian 64bit get a "Volume vg0 not found" message

Brent Clark wrote:
> I have reinstalled the kernel, lvm2 packages via chroot ... still nothing.
> One thing I realised I forgot to mention is that its LVM on top of raid 1.

That is an important detail! :-)

The initrd also contains a copy of the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file.
All components of the RAID1 physical volumes must be present or it
will be unable to start the raid.  In Lenny the raid was automatically
started based upon the FD autoraid partition type.  In Squeeze they
must be explicitly listed.

If your root volume exists on a raid partition then very likely the
raid is not being started.  Very likely it is not being started due to
a mismatch between the UUID numbers listed in the initrd's copy of the
mdadm.conf file and the UUID numbers found on the system.

Scan your system to get the present UUID numbers.

  # mdadm --detail --scan

Use that information to update the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file.  Then
run

  dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)

to rebuild the initrd image using the updated mdadm.conf file.

Note that installing in a chroot is great.  I do it all of the time.
But if the host system is different from the target system then this
can confuse the package installation scripts.  You need to be aware of
the differences when they are important.  Very likely it was important
here because the host system had a different root filesystem.

Bob