Re: Debian 64bit get a "Volume vg0 not found" message

Brent Clark wrote:
> Here where I work, we make use of pxe to boot and install our
> servers (32 bit), Im now trying to build a 64bit. On boot, after
> grub, the kernel loads and it leads to a message of
>
> Volume vg0 not found.

How did you build the initrd image associated with the kernel for use
on the new installation?  Loading and mounting the root filesystem on
LVM is the responsibility of the initrd image.

You have the new 64-bit image installed on another machine running LVM
and in the configuration you want to deploy?  Go grab that matching
initrd from that machine and swap it into place in your installation
image so that the new initrd will be installed instead of whatever you
are using at this moment.

The initrd is created dynamically when the kernel image is installed.
It may be created by a number of different tools.  It uses the current
configuration files to drive the creation of the image.  Different
systems will produce different initrd contents.  You need one that
loads your LVM image.

> I mounted, and chrooted, and from all that I can see ... all looks
> good (checked /etc/fstab and in grub.cfg I see 'insmod lvm').  I
> cant see what I may and am missing.

The magic is stashed away in the initrd and not immediately visible in
any file in /etc or /boot/grub that you will be able to see.  If the
above suggestion works for you then you can unpack both the working
and non-working initrd images and compare the contents and see what is
different between them.

Bob