Re: sound stopped and now working. what happened?

> Unfortunately I did not follow this thread from the beginning.  I
> sometimes get a situation that (mostly after Firefox used some sound
> file) my normal music player like Banshee does not make any sound.

That is exactly what happened to me, it was after firefox was using the sound application.

> I have, with help from this list and elsewhere put the following script
> in ~/bin:
> --------------------------
> #!/bin/bash
>
> for i in /dev/snd/*; do echo $i; sudo lsof $i; done
>
> This identifies for me the process that keep the sound device busy.
> Killing those processes - usually the ones where pulseaudio is involved
> - restores my sound.

I had seen your thread, but did not understand  what to do, as  even after I rebooted my system,
suppossedly killing all processes that were keeping the sound device busy, I still had the problem...

If it happens again, I will try your strategy as well.

I hope someone can clarify how the new alsa configuration works....

Thanks
Mitchell