Re: sound stopped and now working. what happened?

On 10:52 Mon 19 Sep     , Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Mitchell!
>   You still have ALSA. I don't know, when you last looked through
> your kernel modules, but I never had a module named ALSA. The snd
> and soundcore modules are what you need.

Interesting. I never actually looked to see what modules were created by alsa in the past.
I guess now alsa-base is more integrated into the debian dpkg system.

>   When you say speaker-test, of which speaker-test are we talking?

speaker-test 1.0.24.2

mlaks@Rashi:~$ dpkg -S speaker-test
alsa-utils: /usr/share/alsa/speaker-test
alsa-utils: /usr/share/man/man1/speaker-test.1.gz
alsa-utils: /usr/bin/speaker-test
alsa-utils: /usr/share/alsa/speaker-test/sample_map.csv

>   To me the whole problem looks to be a KDE one. If I remember
> correctly, KDE uses PulseAudio, which has noted to be a problem at
> times. Well amongst musicians at least. :-) Me only once having used
> a GUI before and now just restarting, but with GNOME, I could't tell
> you about the exact nature of problems you can expect. I'm not even
> sure if PulseAudio is capable of blocking an ALSA device in a normal
> system. (you might circumvent such things in any case with .asoundrc
> files, but that a totally different pocket full of rats).

Intersting is that I was running stumpwm at the time, in my own compiled version.
However I do run okular cause I like it better than evince at times. I have a bunch of kde apps and gnome installed
on the system as well, gnome was the default if I don't use my .xinitrc to start stumpwm or occasionaly xmonad.

When I went to gnome to try to fix the problem with a gui, I could not see how to do it.
Then I went to kde after getting that message, and also did not see what to do, until I just
ran okular on a sound file again :) , which seems moronic :)
and then I got that pop up message again

"
KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.

Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?

This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
Capture: VIA 8237 with ALC850 (VIA 8237)
Capture: VIA 8237 with ALC850 (VIA 8237) #1
Output: VIA 8237 with ALC850 (VIA 8237)
Output: VIA 8237 with ALC850 (VIA 8237) #1

do no ask again for these devices

yes no manage devices
"

And as soon as I chose  manage devices, I was able to hear sound out of my speakers running speaker-test from the command line, and all sound
applications worked again.

Thus:

1. I have no idea what that KDE control is, and where it comes from.
   If there were a linux equivalent to autohotkey Window Spy for Windows, I could identify what KDE control it was ...
2. I have no idea how pulse-audio is involved but have been googling a bit
3. I am puzzled as to where I can see directly, in a configuration file on my system what was changed and what was changed back...
4. In the past if I had sound problems, I would just recompile and reinstall alsa module and then run alsaconfig and speaker-test
and gamix or kmix and now when I tried to do those usual steps, none worked. alsa-module would not compile, they got rid of alsaconfig completely
and kmix seemed to be set up to non mute status and still no sound.

No update to usual debian sound sites that I used in the past to inform me on how to set up sound on debian.
I guess it is supposed to just work, but no information on how.....

Very odd.

Mitchell Laks