Re: sound stopped and now working. what happened?

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:52:14AM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
>    You still have ALSA. I don't know, when you last looked through your kernel
> modules, but I never had a module named ALSA. The snd and soundcore modules
> are what you need.
>    When you say speaker-test, of which speaker-test are we talking?
>    To me the whole problem looks to be a KDE one. If I remember correctly, KDE
> uses PulseAudio, which has noted to be a problem at times. Well amongst
> musicians at least. :-) Me only once having used a GUI before and now just
> restarting, but with GNOME, I could't tell you about the exact nature of
> problems you can expect. I'm not even sure if PulseAudio is capable of
> blocking an ALSA device in a normal system. (you might circumvent such things
> in any case with .asoundrc files, but that a totally different pocket full of
> rats).
>    Still I hope, that all this might go somewhat towards explaining your
> problem or at least getting some light into the darkness.
>    Kind regards

Unfortunately I did not follow this thread from the beginning.  I
sometimes get a situation that (mostly after Firefox used some sound
file) my normal music player like Banshee does not make any sound.

I have, with help from this list and elsewhere put the following script
in ~/bin:
--------------------------
#!/bin/bash

for i in /dev/snd/*; do echo $i; sudo lsof $i; done
--------------------------

This identifies for me the process that keep the sound device busy.
Killing those processes - usually the ones where pulseaudio is involved
- restores my sound.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

     "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that
      there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now
      herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open
      you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a
      blessing, that there shall not be room enough to
      receive it."           Malachi 3:10