Re: sound stopped and now working. what happened?

On 19/09/11 13:28, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi
>
> I recently upgraded my sid system.
>
> Sound had been working nicely. Then we were upgraded to the 3.0.0-1-amd64 kernel and for some reason I had no sound.
> When i ran lsmod i got

<snipped>

> now if i try this
>
> mlaks@Rashi:~$ lsmod |grep alsa
> mlaks@Rashi:~$
>
> so looks like no alsa.
> so i tried to compile alsa using m-a
> and compilation failed for some reason (something about missing  versions.h file in the sound directory even though i have the kernel headers set up well)

<snipped>

> thanks
>
> Mitchell Laks

On a KDE laptop, where I use alsa, I found I needed to change the default
pulse backend to get sound to function properly.

I had to install vlc-plugin-pulse and phonon-backend-vlc then change the
pulse backend in
System Settings => Multimedia => Backend
to VLC (YMMV)

Differences:- different (unsupported) audio chipset, upstream version of
alsa,
Squeeze, 32-bit.

You'd still have to solve the missing alsa [*1] modules problem (if you
need alsa) - but when alsa is installed, and you change the pulse
backend to VLC you'll see the alsa device added to the list of devices
in System Settings => Multimedia => Output Device Preference

Cheers

[*1] dpkg --get-selections | grep alsa

--
"Always question authority, and demand the truth."
— Bill Hicks