Re: Worst Admin Mistake? was --> Re: /usr broken, will the machine reboot ?

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> jacques wrote:
>> by error most of the binaries in /usr are erased (killing rm :-(
>
> Everyone has made that mistake at some point.  I know I have!

I was hunting for the disk hog using the curses based ncdu utility.
I found a large tar file which could be deleted without issue.
It was in an oracle production directory area.  Due to a bug in ncdu,
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2829950&group_id=200175&atid=972449 )
it didn't delete the highlighted item, but the one next to it,
which was the oracle production database.  Recovery was easy
to do from snapshot files from the database.  I'll never use
ncdu or a similar UI to delete anything ever again - it is only rm for me.