Re: Worst Admin Mistake? was --> Re: /usr broken, will the machine reboot ?

On 9/13/11 3:15 PM, Bryan Irvine wrote:

> Which brings me to another fun question.  What's your worst
> administration mistake and how did you recover?

Years ago on my main workstation back in my slackware days, I was
upgrading samba from the source tarballs.

I had everything compiled and installed in /usr/local and was trying to
remove the old binaries in /usr/bin.  The command was something like this:

root:/usr# rm /usr/bin/smb *

The command ran quickly, and obviously I realised something was wrong
when various things, like ls, stopped working.

Fortunately I had an open instance of midnight commander, so I was able
to ftp the now-missing binaries from the original install media in a
secondary windows machine and use the built-in chmod/chown functions in
mc to unarchive and fix the files so they could be run.

>From this, I learned the importance of watching the spaces in a command
and being aware of what the value of cwd is.