Re: Worst Admin Mistake? was --> Re: /usr broken, will the machine reboot ?

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:34:38 -0300, D G Teed wrote:

> I was hunting for the disk hog using the curses based ncdu utility. I
> found a large tar file which could be deleted without issue. It was in
> an oracle production directory area.  Due to a bug in ncdu, (
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?
func=detail&aid=2829950&group_id=200175&atid=972449)
> it didn't delete the highlighted item, but the one next to it, which was
> the oracle production database.  Recovery was easy to do from snapshot
> files from the database.

I don't think that is the full story. Oracle databases do not consist of
a single file; there are many. Control files, tablespace files, undo
segments, redo logs, etc, etc. And if the database is properly organised,
loss of a single file should not present any problem at all.