Re: USB ACM vs USB memory device conflict-Update

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 06:06:40PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I purchased a Verizon Samsung SHU-u370 cell phone and installed a
> microSD card.  When connected to a usb port the phone registers as an
> ACM device, specifically as ttyACM0.  The settins on the phone allow a
> choice between Media Sync Mode and Modem modem and clearly the Debian
> kernel has chosen the latter though the phone is set for the former.
> The manual for the phone says it should appear as a new cd drive
> (presumably when connected to a Windows system, not having a Windows
> system I have not tried this).
>
> Any ideas as to how I can persuade my Debian system to cancel the ACM
> setting which I am unlikely to need and recognize the phone as a mass
> storage device?

If the USB Mass Storage is selected on the phone and the usb cable
connection is immediately made the phone is recognized as a usb storage
device.  This must be done very quickly; the cable half way inserted
when the selection is made and shoved home quickly.  If you are fast
enough the phone is recognized as ssd1 and can be mounted giving access
to the microSD card.

Disconnection must be done by umounting the device.  If the disconnect
option on the phone is selected before the buffers are flushed the
microSD card is left in an unusable state.  I had to reformat it and
start over.  Fortunately I had transferred the entire content of the
card to my pc because reformating the card lost my entire contact list.

If you own this phone and select phone memory there is an option to
transfer the entire phone memory to the card. I did this and then
mounted the phone and used cp -r to transfer the entire contents of the
card to my pc.  When I crashed the card all the phone information was
lost.  It was recovered by the reverse transfer from the pc to the card
and then, to be safe, I selected the phone's card memory and used an
option to transfer everything back to the phone memory.

If anyone is interested I am fairly happy with this phone.  It capable
of using but does not require subscribing to the Verizon database.
Since I am retired and am included in my daughter's Verizon account I
did not want to subscribe to the database running up her phone bill.  So
I have a touch screen phone with a lot of features.  I have always
wanted to preserve my contact information some of which is captured from
incoming calls on my computer.  This phone does that.  It will play
music and videos, mp3 not ogg, but I don't really want to use my phone
for that, I have a Sansa player that plays both mp3 and ogg.  It makes
the hands free Bluetooth connection to my car.  Too bad I can't play
around with Android and write apps for the phone but with my other
hobbies I might not have time anyway.

Tom