USB ACM vs USB memory device conflict

I purchased a Verizon Samsung SHU-u370 cell phone and installed a
microSD card.  When connected to a usb port the phone registers as an
ACM device, specifically as ttyACM0.  The settins on the phone allow a
choice between Media Sync Mode and Modem modem and clearly the Debian
kernel has chosen the latter though the phone is set for the former.
The manual for the phone says it should appear as a new cd drive
(presumably when connected to a Windows system, not having a Windows
system I have not tried this).

Any ideas as to how I can persuade my Debian system to cancel the ACM
setting which I am unlikely to need and recognize the phone as a mass
storage device?

Tom