Re: autodiscover of a samba share

When using "smb://" you don't "mount" the shares, you "access" the
shares. And you can bookmark your network shares for an easy access, they
will appear listed in the left side panel.

yes i know, i've also experimented with adding shares to fstab through cifs,
and static ip number. and it was kinda successful but not exactly what
i want.

but that is not the point. probably misuderstanding
comes from by bad english.

i'll put it this way:

by default, process of browsing samba shares requires:

1. opening networks
2. choosing workgroup if more than one
3. choosing computer if more than one
4. opening desired folder

ofc you can make shortcuts to make thing easy.

problem with such method:

1. refreshing shares after reboot of 'server' machine
2. repetition of mentioned process every time new computer connects to network

and now my caprice:

1. every time i connect to a network (at friend's house or in my house with
occasional other's people computers) i can see listed all shared folders
in the left panel of nautilus without former creating shortcuts.
2. the list refreshes every time new machine connects or disconnects
3. ability to work with dynamic ip's not just static as with cifs (i can be wrong just
individual experience)

just as it works in macos leopard, and does not on any linux distro i've used.

it's just important for me because as a hobbyst musician i work with large files
which i transfer between different people and machines on diverse networks,
and copying those files with portable hdd is just onerous.

i hope i made things clear

all the best

/t

ps, sorry for the mixup with notion of mounting, but any time i open
public shared folder cairo dock notifies me that a particular folder was mounted.
on the other hand those folders can be unmounted in nautilus left panel with
a single click just as it's done with memory sticks. i don't get it...