debian-installer: Guided partitioning breaks PERC2 Raid controllers

Heya folks \o

I am sending to the mailing list since I am not exactly sure about
which package to file the bug against. It seems like it should be the
debian-installer, but I don't know if maybe there are sub categories
like partman or something that it should be filled under.

Anyways, the problem is that when I use the guided partitioning (tried
with and without encrypted+lvm), `fdisk -l` makes mention of a bad
partition table since sda1 isn't on a boundary. Alooking at tty4 I can
also see that the megaraid driver complains every time I do an `fdisk
-l` that the drive on channel zero doesn't have a valid partition on
it. After a reboot, sure enough, I get a grub error about "out of
disk" and it just sits as a rescue prompt.

I poked around a bit and used the live cd and was able to mount and
luksOpen and vgscan etc, all the devices and read/write to them fine
in a chroot from the live cd even. After another few attempts, I
noticed that if I erased the partition in the command line on tty2 of
the installer and manually created it properly (to avoid boot
partition not being on a boundary), I was able to manually tell the
installer to use the existing partitions, install and then reboot fine
into the new install.

So it would seem that the installers guided partitions are creating
broken partition tables that seem to mess with certain RAID
controllers (google to get an idea of just how many). I should also
note that I have a near identical machine with a similar RAID card
(shows as AMI instead of LSI iirc), but this other card which is using
an identical raid setup, doesn't seem to have a problem with the
partitioning, yet the PERC2 one does. Very hit an miss I guess.

Anyways, I hope this gets the attention of some of the installer gurus
out there and possibly point me in the right direction so that this
can be resolved properly. Keep up the great work! \m/

troubled