Re: Sandy bridge and kernel 3.1

Am Dienstag, 13. September 2011 schrieb Rémi Marchal:
> Hello!

Hi Rémi,

> I have bought the laptop N53SN-SZ126V from ASUS with the technology
> Sandy Bridge. When I install the last stable version of Debian, I get
> a black screen typical of the incompatibility of the kernel and Sandy
> bridge.
>
> I have read that the kernel 3.1 works very good with Sandybridge. Is it
> possible to use the stable version with the kernel 3.1.If not, what
> solutions could you propose to me ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help,

I use a ThinkPad T520 with Intel i5 Core Sandybridge onboard graphics only
with Debian Kernel package 3.0.0-3 and mesa 7.11. Works like a charm,
except for some glitches:

1) kwin crashes when starting the first time unless I do

martin@merkaba:~> cat .kde/env/fix-kwin-intel-gl.sh
#!/bin/sh
export KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1

reported this already. This only happens since mesa 7.11. Which I still
prefer since it fixed corruptions with playing a playstation game via pcsx
reloaded.

2) if compositing in kwin is enabled and I leave a game from full screen
mode the X server might crash. I am not sure actually whether I reported
this. I think I have...

I did try 3.1.0-rc4 debian package for a short while. It basically worked,
but there is no linux-kbuild for it yet for building virtualbox and
thinkpad smapi modules, so I reverted to 3.0.

In summary my short recommendation is: Use Wheezy (or Sid if you want to
live on the edge, but not necessary anymore) instead of Squeeze on
Sandybridge machines ;).

Ciao,