Re: debian-installer: Guided partitioning breaks PERC2 Raid controllers

trouble daemon wrote:
> Anyways, the problem is that when I use the guided partitioning (tried
> with and without encrypted+lvm), `fdisk -l` makes mention of a bad
> partition table since sda1 isn't on a boundary.

The current wisdom of partitioning is changing.  The debian-installer
is following the current best practices.  Unfortunately some of my
favorite older tools such as cfdisk and others have not been updated
and complain that the new scheme isn't expected.  This is unfortunate
but arguably a problem with the older tools that they need to be
updated.

Today to work with the new partition tables created by the
debian-installer you can use the 'parted' tool.  It handles the new
partitioning scheme.

> After a reboot, sure enough, I get a grub error about "out of disk"
> and it just sits as a rescue prompt.

That is a different problem.  After an installation you should not
see a grub error and if you do it is a problem with grub.

This is probably a bug in the new grub2.  Previously in Lenny and
before grub was used.  Now in Squeeze grub2 is used.  This is a
complete rewrite of the project.  Many bugs have been introduced and
most of the behavior changed.  There have been many complaints about
this full rewrite and many complaints about Debian following it.  You
can still install the previous grub which is known as grub-legacy.  It
had support for hardware that is not currently supported by grub2.

> I poked around a bit and used the live cd and was able to mount and
> luksOpen and vgscan etc, all the devices and read/write to them fine
> in a chroot from the live cd even. After another few attempts, I
> noticed that if I erased the partition in the command line on tty2 of
> the installer and manually created it properly (to avoid boot
> partition not being on a boundary), I was able to manually tell the
> installer to use the existing partitions, install and then reboot fine
> into the new install.

I think it likely that you are running into one of the cases that
worked okay with grub-legacy but does not work with grub-pc (aka grub2).

You might also find that installing Lenny and upgrading to Squeeze
(without upgrading grub to grub-pc) works okay too.

I think this is probably a grub-pc / grub2 bug.

> Anyways, I hope this gets the attention of some of the installer gurus
> out there and possibly point me in the right direction so that this
> can be resolved properly. Keep up the great work! \m/

If you want to get the attention of people writing the
debian-installer you should file a bug report against that package.

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=debian-installer

Bob