Re: debian-installer: Guided partitioning breaks PERC2 Raid controllers

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, trouble daemon wrote:
> So it would seem that the installers guided partitions are creating
> broken partition tables that seem to mess with certain RAID

No, it is creating perfectly fine LBA partition tables that are aligned to
1MiB boundaries.

> controllers (google to get an idea of just how many). I should also
> note that I have a near identical machine with a similar RAID card
> (shows as AMI instead of LSI iirc), but this other card which is using
> an identical raid setup, doesn't seem to have a problem with the
> partitioning, yet the PERC2 one does. Very hit an miss I guess.

Contact Dell and demand a PERC2 firmware update: it is their crap firmware
which is doing something it shouldn't.

It is possible that one of the advanced configuration options of the PERC2
can instruct it to stop bothering with the MBR, you'll have to test.

Alternatively, you can partition manually directly from the CLI or a live-cd
to get something the PERC2 can tolerate.

> Anyways, I hope this gets the attention of some of the installer gurus
> out there and possibly point me in the right direction so that this
> can be resolved properly. Keep up the great work! \m/

It might be useful to have a "legacy dos-compatible MBR" option on the
expert mode, indeed.

  Henrique Holschuh