Re: Ugly appearence after upgrade

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:32:27 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:47:46 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 11:57:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>>> I neither like gnome-shell in its current state (I tested GNOME 3.0 in
>>> openSUSE and did not feel good with it), but I hope it changes a lot
>>> when wheezy comes out... and there is also the fallback mode.
>>
>> The problem with "fallback mode" is that it it is inferior to GNOME2.
>
> Sure, but at least you don't have to deal with gnome-shell and still run
> GNOME3.
>
>>> But true is that I'd like so much Debian still provides
>>> GNOME2/metacity in wheezy as an alternative to GNOME3/gnome-shell.
>>
>> The problem with clinging to GNOME2 is that the GNOME project will no
>> longer develop it, so unless someone forks the whole kit and caboodle,
>> it will eventually die off.
>
> Yep, but GNOME2 is still supported upstream, at least for now, and I
> will use it until it is finally dropped by the GNOME project. I don't
> need additional features or enhancements just security fixes.
>
> And now you mention a fork, there are two projects focused on this: mate
> and exde, IIRC.
>
>> I am so happy with LXDE that I wish I had switched sooner, but until
>> Fedora 15 came out I had been contented and familiar enough with GNOME2
>> not to make the effort to evaluate alternatives.
>>
>> All this is my personal experience, preference and opinion of course;
>> it is for each to make his or her own choice.
>
> I'm a bit reluctant in changing to XFCE. I migrated from KDE4 to GNOME2
> and now I feel very comfortable in this environment. Being like a
> "nomad" is fine for young people that want to taste new experiences, I
> prefer a quiet home :-)

I'm slightly confused; I was discussing LXDE not XFCE. Actually I did
have a look at XFCE when I was looking for an alternative DE. My verdict
was "OK I suppose, but a bit too much of a GNOME wannabe".

But as I say, each to his own.

By the way, being referred to as "young" is quite flattering; I am
nearing retirement age.