Re: DO NOT BUY Western Digital "Green" Drives (also present in WD "Elements" external USB cases)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 9/4/2011 6:26:48 PM
Subject: Re: DO NOT BUY Western Digital "Green" Drives (also present in WD "Elements" external USB cases)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 13:27:51 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

Hello Doug,

> It's been a few years since I retired, but I remember the IT guys
> replacing a _lot_ of Western Digital drives. I guess the

In the same vein, I remember lots of Seagate drives being replaced. For
a while the company had a nickname of Seacrate. Possibly because that's
what most of their gear was worth at the time; Crating up, and chucking
in the sea.

At various times, products from certain companies go through a bad
time. Usually, it can be attributed to some factor or other. For
example, one drive manufacturer's drives started failing prematurely
because the wrong type of bearing oil had been used. Such issues often
go unnoticed until quite large numbers of faulty products are in use.
The offending company earns a bad reputation until the next company comes
along and makes a cock-up and everyone forgets about the first one.

WD, Seagate, and just about every other drive manufacturer has gone
through these cycles. It's nothing new, and will continue for years to
come.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

The two most recent studies (one based on Google hardware and one from Carnegie-Mellon) provide two interesting insights:

1.  While there does not appear to be a strong correlation between failures and manufacturers there is a strong correlation between drive models from a manufacturer and failures.  The inference is that WD may not be failure-prone but some WD products are failure-prone.

2.  There is not a strong dependency between drive temperature and failures.

Larry