Re: DO NOT BUY Western Digital "Green" Drives (also present in WD "Elements" external USB cases)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 16:23:06 +0900
Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> writes:
> > just guess ...  might be wrong, might lots of people coming for WD,
> > so the stores only sold WD.
>
> Dunno, but I've had extremely good experiences with WD drives in the
> past, so I'd definitely favor them when I buy a new one...

Funny, isn't it? Of the dozen or so failed drives I've seen over a
long period (I'm not a full-time IT professional) only three have not
been WD (Seagate Barracuda, just over a year old, Maxtor about five
years old, Rodime 40MB about four years old).

The first I saw was a WD 30MB hardcard, which wouldn't start up.
Fortunately, it had an external (!) rotating part, and it was possible
to get a finger to it to kick-start it, after which the data could be
recovered.

--
Joe