Re: DO NOT BUY Western Digital "Green" Drives (also present in WD "Elements" external USB cases)

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 20:03:05 -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:
On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 09:14:02PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
just a word of warning: on absolutely no account, not for any reason,
should you buy WD "Green" drives.

TL;DR

I am familiar with a storage company who has thousands of these exact
drives, all in JBODs and RAID arrays. They are pushed hard, daily. Other than standard drive failures as would be expected with any service like
this, there is no issue.

Same here, although not quite as much. I have about 250 drives (both EARS and EADS) across a range of servers and situations (some in London data-centers, others in office-based servers - and these in the office have regularly seen temperatures of 45oC in the room recently after I had issues with the AC units on the roof). Plus, the data-center machines are reading/writing at least three to five megabytes per second as a base-line minimum for much of their life.

My rate of loss is about a drive a month (maybe two or three drives if it's a bad month), but only around 8% a year. Even then, a drive with me will normally fail after either three weeks or three years. On the whole they're stable and have not caused me any great concern.

Considering temperatures alone, I've had more problems with Samsung drives than WD's Green range.

--
Jonathan Wright

 e: jonathan@netwrker.co.uk
 w: http://netwrker.co.uk/
 t: @netwrker

 cat /dev/random
  » you never know, you may see something you like!

 (sent from the web...)
--
This e-mail has been sent to a select person or group of individuals. If you have received this, you can generally imply that it was meant for you and therefore you can read it, unless it doesn't make sense in which case if probably wasn't. Either way, if your unsure, delete this e-mail and destroy anything it came in contact with, including, but not limited to, items such has hard drives, processors and just about anything else inside a computer. Once done, please let us know so it can be prevented from happening again (although by this point you'll probably have to call).

The sender is not responsible for anything in this e-mail or for it's delivery or (non) receipt. The Internet is a wonderful place where time and space seam to get lost and distorted. If you received a reply before you sent the e-mail, don't worry. It probably means we're in a different time-zone to you. Adjust your computer's clock to compensate.

We also exclude any liability for any damage (or similar) that results from this e-mail. However, if you do end up making a few quid I am happy to receive a share of the profits - Postal Orders happily accepted.

Finally, any comments and/or opinions that happen to be expressed in the mess of text above are those of my keyboard - I may sit and tell it what to write but ultimately it must bear responsibility for it's actions.

Thank you for taking the time to read our e-mail and I hope you will reply to it soon!