Re: How to set up the portable hard drive

On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 18:33 +0800, lina wrote:
> > Run "mount" and put here the result.
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive type ntfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177,uhelper=udisks)

Ok, you have a drive with at least one partition (/dev/sdb1) and a NTFS file
system on it.

> >> how do I reformat it?
> >
> > Using gparted, parted, cfdisk... as usual :-)
>
> I have never used above gparted, parted, cfdisk, I will check now.

These programs are used to change the partition layout of your drives, not to
"format" them. The latter typically just means that you create a filesystem on
a already partitioned drive.

Could you give us the output of

    # fdisk -l /dev/sda

> >> Thanks for any suggestions, (no need very intelligent set up, just basic
> >> one, so I can use it to backup.)
> >
> > Then use a most suitable filesystem format, such as ext3/ext4/reiserfs/
> > xfs... YMMV.
>
> Which one is the best choice, better can be used both in linux and Mac.

What do you want to use this drive for? How large is it? Do you need to use it
from other operating systems as well? If so: which?

If you want to use this drive only from Debian and the fdisk command above
just lists a single partition I would recommend to create an ext3 or ext4
filesystem on it:

    # mkfs.ext3 -L NAME_OF_YOUR_CHOICE /dev/sdb1
or
    # mkfs.ext4 -L NAME_OF_YOUR_CHOICE /dev/sdb1

You might have to change the permission of the filesystem if you want to be
able to write as your normal user:

    # mkdir /media/blargelbars
    # mount /dev/sdb1 /media/blargelbars
    # chown YOURUSER:plugdev /media/blargelbars
    # chmod 770 /media/blargelbars
    # umount /media/blargelbars
    # rmdir /media/blargelbars

For this to work your user should be a member of the plugdev group, which you
can check by running "groups" as your user. If it is not run "adduser YOURUSER
plugdev" and log out/in. You could also change the chmod command to "chmod
YOURUSER:YOURUSER /media/blargelbars" or "chmod root:plugdev
/media/blargelbars".

If for some reason you already have a directory /media/blargelbars please let
me know as I will invite you for a beer/wine/tea/nous nous/... and notice that
you would have to use another name.
--
Wolodja <babilen@gmail.com>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC