How to set up the portable hard drive

Hi,

I don't know how to set up the portable hard drive (external one).

I failed to drag (copy) things into it.

it showed me,
Error opening file '/media/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/fulltext.pdf':
Permission denied

but I can drag things out.

:/media$ ls -l FreeAgent\ GoFlex\ Drive/
total 36172
-rw------- 1 lina lina      170 Jan 11  2010 Autorun.inf
-rw------- 1 lina lina    65643 Mar 18  2010 GoFlex.ico
-rw------- 2 lina lina 36806329 Feb 16  2011 Mac Installer.dmg
drwx------ 1 lina lina        0 Aug 10 20:01 Seagate
-rw------- 1 lina lina   156312 Jan 16  2009 Setup.exe
drwx------ 1 lina lina        0 Aug 10 20:01 System Volume Information
drwx------ 1 lina lina     4096 Aug 10 20:01 UserGuides

I tried chmod a+x and a+w still not work.

and once newly plugged into, it showed as before (unchanged).

There are some .dmg and .exe which I do not plan to try and install in
respective OS.

Can I remove them all?

how do I reformat it?

Thanks for any suggestions, (no need very intelligent set up, just
basic one, so I can use it to backup.)

lina

P.S The filesystem type is ntfs, while the debian file system I guess
I used ext4.