Re: Rsync fails on copying large file

On 30/08/11 09:56, Alan Chandler wrote:
I use Rsync between two of my machines to facilitate regular backups. In
the case I have a problem with I am attempting to copy a file using the
double colon (::) method to talk to the rsync daemon on the receiving end.

I have been having regular failures of this backup and have traced it
down to copying a 60Gb .vdi (Virtual Box virtual disk image). The manual
command, and error I received when I just tried it was...

rsync Windows\ 7\ Development\ Environment.vdi
owl::alan/backup/"VirtualBox VMs"/"Windows 7 Development Environment"/
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (2966704 bytes received so far)
[sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601)
[sender=3.0.8]

After several failed attempts I replaced the :: method with a single colon one (ie uses ssh) and it works perfectly.

So either there is a setting I need in rsyncd.conf or there is a bug in this form of the protocol?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk