Re: Can you help me figure out why I can't get Grub to install from netinstall cd's?

On 08/30/2011 06:54 PM, keitho@strucktower.com wrote:
I use the Graphical Expert Install option. I use the manual partition
option when I get to it. I delete all the existing partition then recreate
it. I have a 120GB SSD drive- I only partition one 40Gb primary partition
for the entire ext4 filesystem (mounted at / with bootable flag on) plus
one 6Gb swap file. The rest of the drive is left "free space".

I don't know enough to be able to decode the syslog messages; perhaps another reader does.

When I started using Linux (1997?), a small boot partition was usually required as the first partition on the first hard drive. I still do that, out of habit (currently /dev/sda1, ~120 MB aligned to cylinder boundaries, with ext2 file system in keeping with tradition).

Have you tried the using simplest installer and letting it do everything for you?

I find myself installing/ re-installing a given release several times (I have several computers, and I like to fiddle). I'd suggest downloading and burning DVD 1, to save time and bandwidth. I use the Jigdo method, which is smart enough to download/ assembly only the missing pieces for multiple, related releases:

    http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/

I typically run the current Stable release, but I would expect the weekly Testing builds to be more stable than daily Testing builds:

    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/jigdo-dvd/

I only have one amd64 capable machine, so I run i386.  Have you tried i386?

    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/jigdo-dvd/

HTH,

David