Installation on a new laptop.

Hi,
I've just had a whole bunch of fun installing on a Dell XPS.  The problems sound similiar, but my impression on the Dell was that it was the Optimus graphics that caused the problem-  neither Intel, NVIDIA or Radeon apparently have any responsibility (except to users of a decrepit OS), so they haven't made any effort to get the software functional for the hardware you bought.  If you google the bumblebee project you'll see the sterling work that has been done to reverse engineer it, and it should hopefully be getting to a distro near you soon.  Essentially, new laptops apparently have stuffed graphics due to a closed code powersaving mechanism.

I eventually managed to get it working with a Linux Mint Debian Edition install; with the (pure) Debian netinstall the best I got was a terminal with V4l driving the graphics.
The Ethernet card I still don't have working.  In a rather surprising twist, the wireless works out of the box- go figure (and now that I'm back in my lazyboy I don't have much incentive to figure out the ethernet problem...)

Ian.