Re: sharing one r/w unix filesystem between different machines and users

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:18:35 -0400
shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand what is hard about this. I mean if you don't care
> about security, just make sure the mount has a umask of 770 (or
> whatever) and make an export, reload exports, and mount it from
> wherever you want.
>
> What am I missing?

I believe you're missing the point that the user isn't using NFS - this
isn't shared files over a network, it's shared files over a shared
disk.  And a mask of 770 only means that it will preserve other
permissions AFAIK - it won't set them.

> Also, if you want to call osx Unix, call it broken unix. Most people
> say its 'unix like' though. What I mean is that Apple changed basic
> unix commands around which osx not act right. And then it is possibly
> closer in comparison to windows than it is to Linux.

I would agree that it is broken Unix, the point was just to demonstrate
that a solution has been implemented somewhere else, and that it should
be possible.

I disagree that OSX is closer to windows than linux.  The small amount
of unix it inherits from darwin makes it orders of magnitude more
robust than 'doze :).

--
rbmj