Re: sharing one r/w unix filesystem between different machines and users

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 19:02, Christoph Groth <cwg@falma.de> wrote:
> Blair Mason <rbmj@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> Permission schemes on removable media are not too powerful annyway, as
>> anyone with root on any machine can change them... my $0.02.
>
> Exactly -- I wonder whether there are any decent (modern features,
> public specification, nice free implementation, etc.) filesystems which
> allow to ignore permissions when mounted by a user.

so, the old school way is to use nis (or ypbind). this will still work
for you (it isn't secure but you can set it up in a few minutes. the
modern way is ldap and a ticketing system (kerberos) but seriously,
don't try - it's hard and overkill.

the end result is to have global uid / gid. then you setup nfs and
export for that ip / mask and you can mount it from your remote host.
what i'd suggest is to export /mnt and have your host automatically
mount devices under a subdirectory to /mnt and then you'll be able to
read it from your remote host. you could even have udev do a
'notify-send' to your remote machines when you insert media (but,
obviously this is overkill since you know when you've inserted media
into your own computers - just fun :) ).