Re: sharing one r/w unix filesystem between different machines and users

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 01:02:57 +0200
Christoph Groth <cwg@falma.de> wrote:

> Blair Mason <rbmj@verizon.net> writes:
>
> > Permission schemes on removable media are not too powerful annyway,
> > as anyone with root on any machine can change them... my $0.02.
>
> Exactly -- I wonder whether there are any decent (modern features,
> public specification, nice free implementation, etc.) filesystems
> which allow to ignore permissions when mounted by a user.

Will something like the following work? This works on any filesystem
using standard unix permissions (such as ext*, ufs, reiserfs*, btrfs,
etc.)

Suppose your filesystem is mounted on /media/usb0.

# chmod -R a+rwx /media/usb0

This does, however, seem the Wrong Way To Do It, as it will not work
for files created after issuing the command.  Unfortunately, there isn't
an elegant way to do this. It seems like it should be an option
to mount (something like ignoreperms).  Looking at the internet, it
appears that OSX has a mount option to do this:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/mount.8.html
(search for 'noowners')

This option does not appear to exist on Linux or BSD, however.

Hope this helps,

--
rbmj