Re: sharing one r/w unix filesystem between different machines and users

shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 19:02, Christoph Groth <cwg@falma.de> wrote:
>> Blair Mason <rbmj@verizon.net> writes:
>>
>>> Permission schemes on removable media are not too powerful annyway, as
>>> anyone with root on any machine can change them... my $0.02.
>>
>> Exactly -- I wonder whether there are any decent (modern features,
>> public specification, nice free implementation, etc.) filesystems which
>> allow to ignore permissions when mounted by a user.

Thanks, but any solution requiring to run additional servers to solve
this simple issue doesn't feel like the proper one.

I think the idea that a user should be able to control _fully_ the
devices which he attaches himself is not really supported well in Linux.
The issue is not trivial to solve, because who should own a newly
attached device if several users are logged in?  (It should be the
current user of the physical terminal to which the new device has been
connected.)

Is anyone aware of an emerging solution to this?

Christoph