Re: squeeze freeze while copying from camera mem card (via USB)

I have just noticed that I replied directly to Camaleon instead of the list. My appologies, Camealeon. The reply is included below.

Itay

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011, Itay wrote:

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:54:50 +0300 (IDT)
From: Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm>
To: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: squeeze freeze while copying from camera mem card (via USB)

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011, Camaleón wrote:

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:18:16 +0000 (UTC)
From: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:28:59 +0300, Itay wrote:

After upgrading to squeeze from lenny I cannot copy photos from the 8GB
memory card.  Worse: the computer freezes, I lose the mouse and the
keyboard (attached via USB) and have to make hard-shutdown. I can mount
the file-system, but very quickly it will appear as if it was never
mounted: cd, ls, etc., will not work.

Does it happen when copying the files using GUI-based tools (like
nautilus or dolphin) or it also happens when you use MC or console?

It happens using command line.

So far using same camera and connection with another card didn't produce
that effect.

Mmm... the card can be wrong, you may think in replacing it or
reformat :-?

Since it works with a different card, this is indeed an option.
But if I'll do it I'll lose the oppurtunity to debug the situation.

The main frustrating thing is that I can't monitor the situation once it developes because I lose the keyboard and mouse.

Any suggestions which log files I should check?
Debug options to turn on?

Thanks,
Itay

Using both cards, same camera and connection, on another machine + lenny
doesn't produce this effect either.

Does the same card work on you rsqueeze system when using a card reader?

Greetings,