Re: Unable to create either bootable USB flashdrive or CD/DVDrom

On Tue 09 Aug 2011 at 16:14:38 -0400, Christian Jaeger wrote:

> Hello
>
> This is not the first time I'm struggling trying to make a bootable
> USB flashdrive. . . . . . . .

[Rather a large snip]

> Could you help me in any of these attempts? Of course I don't expect
> you to help me debug problems with Mythbuntu or XMBC, but as you see
> there are already multiple Debian-only problems I'm dealing with.

Let's try to move forward. The problem is installing an iso to a flash
stick. How easy the solution is will depend on how the iso has been
produced. So could we start with the Debian Squeeze netinst iso. It is
of the hybrid variety.

Download it and put it on a flashdrive with

   cat <whatever_the_iso_is_called> > /dev/sdX

The drive should be unmounted. Note sdX - not sdX1 or sdX2.

Prior to putting it on the stick run:

  /sbin/fdisk -l <whatever_the_iso_is_called>

Afterwards do:

  /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sdX

Please post both outputs and say whether the usb drive boots into the
installer.

A satisfactory outcome to all of this is quite likely to get you on the
road with Mythbuntu at least.