Re: autoinstalled packages

[…]

 >> Also there's the APT::Get::AutomaticRemove option, which, if set
 >> to false, I expect to prevent APT from removing the
 >> automatically installed packages.

 > I'm not sure that works the way you expect - but I haven't had a
 > chance to check.  My foggy memory is that it refuses to remove any
 > packages if a package selected to be removed doesn't want to go
 > alone.

	I haven't checked it explicitly, but:

--cut: apt-get(8) --
       --auto-remove
           If the command is either install or remove, then this option
           acts like running autoremove command, removing the unused
           dependency packages.  Configuration Item:
           APT::Get::AutomaticRemove.
--cut: apt-get(8) --

[…]

 >>> The package they pull in gets marked as "automatically installed",

[…]

 >> However, what I'm interested in right now, is how do I access
 >> the list of autoinstalled packages with plain APT or dpkg(1)?

 > I don't have any "autoinstalled" packages (whatever that means)

	It was meant to mean “installed thanks to the dependencies”, as
	opposed to “manually selected with # apt-get install PACKAGE.”
	I believe that Sven (above) has used the term in the same way.

 > on my system so I can't test.

 > Try:-

 > dpkg -l *dummy* | less

 > OR

 > dpkg -l *transitional* | less

	The both are going to search for these keywords in the package
	names, while I think that the Description:'s are more relevant
	here.

[…]

 > PS. This might do what you want:-

 > # apt-get -s autoremove | less

	Indeed it does.  Yet, this doesn't seem like a straightforward
	way to obtain this list.  (Especially from a script.)  Moreover,
	I'd like to be able to modify this list, too.

--
FSF associate member #7257