Re: removing dummy package

On 13/08/11 01:00, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
Hi,

[....]
After upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze I have some dhcp3 dummy packages.

<snipped>

I wouldn't remove the dummy package ('cause I'm lazy) - but if you want
to, the following will work.

The reason I want to remove some dummy packages is because I ran into a problem upgrading to Squeeze because of some old dummy package (dhcp) from the Etch install. Removing that dummy package also gave me some problems I probably would not have had if I removed it right after the upgrade in stead of after the next upgrade.

Note: if you can't login as root (#), just use sudo.

if:-
# ls /var/cache/apt/archives | grep isc-dhcp-client
yields nothing
then:-
# apt-get -d install isc-dhcp-client;apt-get --purge remove
dhcp3-client;apt-get install isc-dhcp-client
else:-
# apt-get --purge remove dhcp3-client;apt-get install isc-dhcp-client

So basicly, let aptitude remove both packages and reinstall the isc package. That's what I ended up with when I remove the old dhcp (not even dhcp3) package on a system that had been upgraded from Etch to Lenny to Squeeze.
I will try Sven's suggestion First, maybe that works without the double work.

Bonno Bloksma

Svens method would be preferred if aptitude is your weapon of choice. Either way you need to copy and paste one line of code. You can even avoid the effort of hitting Enter by just copying part of another line before the paste ;-)

NOTE: just make sure that isc-dhcp-client is sitting in /var/cache/apt/archives before removing it (if you take that approach) - because you might need dhcp client ability to download it later...

Either way you will want to do an upgrade. An update to isc-dhcp-client was released today:-
Format: 1.8