Problems ejecting cd.

I'm running debian testing updated weekly.  Every once in a while I manage to
wedge the cd drive such that I can no longer eject it:

  $ sudo umount /dev/scd1
  umount: /dev/scd1: not mounted

  $ eject /dev/scd1
  eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

  $ sudo eject /dev/scd1
  eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

  $ eject -v /dev/scd1
  eject: device name is `/dev/scd1'
  eject: expanded name is `/dev/scd1'
  eject: `/dev/scd1' is a link to `/dev/sr1'
  eject: `/dev/sr1' is not mounted
  eject: `/dev/sr1' is not a mount point
  eject: `/dev/sr1' is not a multipartition device
  eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr1' using CD-ROM eject command
  eject: CD-ROM eject command failed
  eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr1' using SCSI commands
  eject: SCSI eject failed
  eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr1' using floppy eject command
  eject: floppy eject command failed
  eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr1' using tape offline command
  eject: tape offline command failed
  eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

  $ ls -l /dev/s{cd,r}1
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      3 Aug  5 18:09 /dev/scd1 -> sr1
  brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 1 Aug  5 18:09 /dev/sr1

  $ groups
  rclayton dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev bluetooth netdev

  $

The drive's wedged so tightly that it doesn't respond to the button on the
cd-tray drawer (it does, however, respond to the paper clip, but that fixes
neither the eject command nor the drawer button).  This usually happens after I
have some mishaps mounting and unmounting the drive.  I can recover the drive
by rebooting, but what, if anything, can I do short of rebooting to recover the
drive?