how to change root passwd (if forgotten)

Hi,
I ve forgotten my root passwd on centos 6 (red hat based),

I tried to change it as I used in debian (in debian it works perfectly) ,  that is:

use a cd live (or installation cd1), to access the hd,
I mount  my root partition and mount proc and devices

I tried  the command passwd, no error reprorted, but after reboot the passwd had´t changed.
then I decided to remove passwd from /etc/shadow (delete the
second field).

OK,  now I can access my machine  without passwd,  BUT I CAN´T GIVE ANY PASSWORD!!!!  I RECEIVE THIS ERROR

# passwd

Changing password for user root.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

any idea to fix the problem.
thanks a lot