Re: Boost sound volume?

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:51:28AM -0700, Kevin Ross wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 09:43 AM, Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:
> >Hi list,
> >
> >Is there a way to boost the system sound volume?  Playing DVDs in VLC
> >with the alsa, pulseaudio, and vlc volumes all maxed out is still about
> >30-40% of max volume in 'doze.  I don't like pulseaudio, but for some
> >reason skype doesn't work without it, and my family won't allow me to
> >not have working skype, so for now I'm stuck with it...
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >--
> >rbmj
>
> Sounds like one of the mixer lines isn't turned all the way up.  Run
> alsamixer from a terminal, and make sure all the controls are turned
> up to the max.

No, it's a well-known problem with PulseAudio. It gives max volumes much,
much lower than Windows for no special reason I know of.

Robert: if you're using Gnome, run gnome-volume-control. You can use the
slider at the top to set volume to "more than 100%". (Yes, I know that's
stupid.) Unfortunately the system will forget this setting if you ever lower
the volume.

You can run gnome-volume-control by right-clicking the volume applet and
choosing "Sound Preferences" or from the command line.
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!