Re: Hardware - Boot issues: No post

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 23:47 -0500, "Stan Hoeppner"
<stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 8/8/2011 6:59 PM, KS wrote:
>
> > I shut down the machine and tried to boot it with just the Mushkin RAM.
> > Same beep sequence followed.
>
> If you put the Mushkin back in the original sockets, then you likely:
>
> 1.  Damaged the mainboard PCB when inserting modules
> 2.  Lodged a screw, or something conductive, shorting the board
> 3.  Got dust, debris in the DDR socket shorting some pins
> 4.  ??
>
> BTW, attempting to boot without a video device will also cause beeps.
> You removed your PCIe vid card.  Does this mobo also have onboard video?
>  If not, put the vid card back in before attempting to power it on.
>
> If it boots with the Mushkin in the two original sockets, but not with
> one stick in the "other" socket for dual channel operation, then other
> that socket is likely bad, or has something tiny wedged in between pins.
>
> --
> Stan

Thanks Stan. The motherboard has onboard video. But the behaviour of the
machine is the same with or without the PCIe video card.

And the machine does not boot anymore with any of the RAM modules.
Assuming that all the memory modules were not zapped together, it is
quite likely the CPU is toast. I can only check this using another
machine like this. I might be able to do that tomorrow (and some
memtest86 too).

--
  KS
  lists04@fastmail.fm