Re: can no longer print from acroread

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:43:54 +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 15:30:54 +0000 (UTC), noelamac@gmail.com replied:
>
>> You can add another printer (I mean, another stanza for the same
>> printer, your "Phaser 6280DN") from CUPS that uses the desired PPD
>> (instead PS, try with PCL5/6 or another generic file) just to use it to
>> print jobs from Acrobat Reader.
>
> I'm not sure what PPD I'd use.  With the XP virtual machine, I fixed a
> similar problem by switching (at your suggestion) to the PCL
> description. However, Xerox doesn't offer a Linux PCL file for this
> Phaser.

Mmmm, you're right:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Xerox/Xerox-Phaser_6280

There is only one driver (PS) for linux though the printer supports
PCL6 ;-(

(trick: you can try with a generic PCL6 driver¹)

> What's more baffling to me is why printing from acroread just stopped
> working.  Neither the PPD nor any of the acroread packages have changed
> since I built Wheezy five months ago.  I noted on June 24th that
> printing from acroread worked, and I think it only stopped working a
> week or two ago.

There have been some updates for CUPS, IIRC. Anyway, just for printing
can't you use another PDF reader, like Evince or Okular :-?

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Generic/Generic-PCL_6_PCL_XL_Printer

Greetings,

--
Camaleón