Re: picture import from camera - gthumb

On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 11:48 +0200, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:35:52 +0200, Tomas Kral wrote:
>
> > How do I import pictures from a digital camera on Squeeze?
>
> With many dsc cameras you only need to connect it and it will be mounted
> under /media. Then the usual copy/paste...
>
> > On Lenny I installed gthumb application that was called by
> > gnome-volume-manager when a camera was plugged in to a USB slot.
>
> Yep, it's annoying that always asks for import photos :-P
>
> > When I try to install gthumb on Squeeze it insists on removing the whole
> > gnome-desktop.
>
> That should not happen at all. If yes, either report it or put here the
> output you get when you try to install that package.
>
> > Is there a replacement app to gthumb, that I could set to handle the
> > picture import?
>
> Shotwell is now the default for GNOME desktop. F-Spot is also a well-know
> app. I'd say that all these apps rely on gphoto for importing the
> pictures so choosing one app or other just depends on your specific needs.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Anyway, thanks to all for useful tips, I will elaborate one way or
another, than share with the list here, if useful.

Copy / Paste to Pictures folder works for now.

I installed gthumb w/o gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs, so it can be used for
viewing pictures and manipulation.

tcat@lynx:~$ su -c'apt-get -d install gthumb'
Download complete and in download only mode

tcat@lynx:/var/cache/apt/archives$ su -c'dpkg -i
gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs_0.10.30-1_i386.deb gthumb-data_3%
3a2.11.5-4_all.deb gthumb_3%3a2.11.5-4_i386.deb'

I quite like the way gthumb handles new predefined home folders,
Pictures, Movies, etc.

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral@email.cz>