Re: restoring MBR

On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 14:06 +0200, Camaleón wrote:

> > Okay, well this script isn't perfect and it sure won't help after the
> > problem, but it will save all possible MBRs and fdisk output for a bunch
> > of candidate disks:
>
> (...)
>
> This should be done _at install time_ when things can badly break. Once
> you've lost your MBR making a backup of the _wrong_ MBR is of course
> useless.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Not sure if I am quite in the subject.

But in the old Potato days, the installer always asked to stick in a
floppy disk to write a new MBR on it. Leaving hard drive untouched.

Just in case something went wrong with the newly installed system, user
could always boot back in the old system, just by removing the floppy
from the drive.

Also, there used to be command grub-floppy.

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral@email.cz>