Re: help to choose right printer to buy

On Jul 26, 2011 9:43 PM, "Rob Hurle" <rob1940@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I've had an HP LaserJet p1102w for almost two years now. I've used it
> >> with Lenny, then Squeeze, and now Wheezy with no problems. Even the
> >> wireless printing works. No duplexing, unless you count manual :) IMHO,
> >> HP has the best support for Linux when it comes to printers
> >> (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html)
> >
> > I currently have All-in-One HP OfficeJet 6310. It is my first HP
> > printer and probably the last one. I do not like neither the company nor
> > their printers. They capitalize on their former reputation for quality.
> > But the reality is, their printers today are flimsy, of low specs, and
> > over priced, as well as over priced is their supply line. Lately HP seems
> > to be mostly concerned of how to prevent their customers to use third
> > party supplies. In this they did achieve real heights.
>
> Agreed about HP.  Once upon a time, their engineering and support was
> first-rate, but the modern printers don't match up - there's a lot
> better out there.  I had a HP2605dn (colour laser) and only the most
> expensive HP toner cartridges worked in it, and they invariably left
> around 10% of the toner in the cartridge at failure point.  The design
> of the printer is such that dust falls on to the mirrors in the
> (Canon!) printing engine and the whole thing has to be dismantled to
> clean them - a half-day job for the experienced.  Never again HP!

I totally agree with all of the above. I don't know what your situation is, however when I needed a printer this is what I did:
Went on Craigslist and found sub-$100 laser printers.
Called a guy up with an HP 4050tn listed for $65.
Asked him if there were odd noises or anything else. He answered ok, so I arranged a time, picked up some paper, and stopped by.
The lcd was half bad and the nic was missing but it didn't have any defects printing.
I gave him $50 for it. Got on eBay and bought a $5 jetdirect card and an $8 lcd (shipping on each averaged $2.50). The lcd required a jewler's flat head and the nic is just a thumb screw.

Now, I'm not getting support with it, it has printed 120k pages, your new printer *might* print faster than mine, and I had to fix two things. However, if anyone can beat the <$70 price on a quality laser printer, I'm all ears. Oh, and IIRC a duplexer would cost me <$100 and an hdd would be ~$20. Cartridges will cost me $70+..... in a few years.... whenever this one that I got with the printer that's half full runs out. :)

In short, most tech, I buy new. Laser printers, I'll buy a 10 year old tank before I even consider something new.

Oh, I didn't mention support. But, I really don't think I need to here.