Re: help to choose right printer to buy

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 12:43:06AM +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 17:13:34 -0400, Michael Checca wrote:
>
> > Again, Brother support is horrible. I wouldn't expect them to be
> > engineers, but to at least have heard of Linux and know that is a kernel
> > not an OS :)
>
> After I made a post, I phoned Samsung support, just out of curiosity.
> As normal, I faced up a girl from the 1st line support. Yes, she was not
> an engineer. But she firmly new what Linux is, she was well aware of the
> existence of different distributions, their versions, and the difference
> between 32/64 bit environments. She even was able to locate for me
> another printer that officially states Debian 6.01 supported. Though it
> was in no use for me.
>
> The difference between Brother and Samsung customer support was
> impressive even on this level. I might be wrong, but after such
> experience I would expect to find the same difference on the upper as
> well.
>
> Shame on Brother. I guess this takes their puppy out of my list. Not that
> I really needed their support (except drivers) or counted on it. But I
> get suspicious about quality of the printer itself now. This is how it
> works. :-)

I'll just say that I've purchased quite a few Brother lasers,
and they are:

- very Linux compatible if you access them over ethernet

- very reliable -- comparable to the better years of HP

- generally inexpensive, both in the beginning and for
  consumables like toner.

- and I've never dealt with their support at all.

-dsr-

You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.