Re: help to choose right printer to buy

> After I made a post, I phoned Samsung support, just out of curiosity.
> As normal, I faced up a girl from the 1st line support. Yes, she was not
> an engineer. But she firmly new what Linux is, she was well aware of the
> existence of different distributions, their versions, and the difference
> between 32/64 bit environments. She even was able to locate for me
> another printer that officially states Debian 6.01 supported. Though it
> was in no use for me.

Very encouraging.  Not everyone's like this.  I have a Canon and their
support is not good.  Their web site boasts drivers for Linux
(including .deb files) but by following their instructions the printer
is not installed into CUPS and gives an error message (can't remember
what it is).  The Canon support people looked at the problem and the
final response was that "Canon printers are not supported on Linux".
However, there is one guy who has persevered with this and has a
script that will install Canon printers on Debian:

http://radu.cotescu.com/how-to-install-canon-lbp-printers-in-ubuntu/

(Thank you Radu!).  I have verified this for, at least, a Canon
LBP7200C on Debian Lenny and Squeeze.

>> I've had an HP LaserJet p1102w for almost two years now. I've used it
>> with Lenny, then Squeeze, and now Wheezy with no problems. Even the
>> wireless printing works. No duplexing, unless you count manual :) IMHO,
>> HP has the best support for Linux when it comes to printers
>> (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html)
>
> I currently have All-in-One HP OfficeJet 6310. It is my first HP
> printer and probably the last one. I do not like neither the company nor
> their printers. They capitalize on their former reputation for quality.
> But the reality is, their printers today are flimsy, of low specs, and
> over priced, as well as over priced is their supply line. Lately HP seems
> to be mostly concerned of how to prevent their customers to use third
> party supplies. In this they did achieve real heights.

Agreed about HP.  Once upon a time, their engineering and support was
first-rate, but the modern printers don't match up - there's a lot
better out there.  I had a HP2605dn (colour laser) and only the most
expensive HP toner cartridges worked in it, and they invariably left
around 10% of the toner in the cartridge at failure point.  The design
of the printer is such that dust falls on to the mirrors in the
(Canon!) printing engine and the whole thing has to be dismantled to
clean them - a half-day job for the experienced.  Never again HP!

Cheers,
Rob Hurle

--
Rob Hurle