Re: disable fbcon in Debian Wheezy (Live)?

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:00:03 +0700, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> […]
>
>  >>>> Otherwise, fbcon works pretty much correctly for the case in
>  >>>> question.  As per lsmod, the driver is i915.
>
>  >>> Intel KMS requires fbcon, unless this has changed recently... and
>  >>> for Intel cards KMS is also mandatory, so I dunno what to suggest
>  >>> :-)
>
>  >> What do you mean by “mandatory”?  I've ran the system without both
>  >> the i915 module and fbcon, and had no problems with that setup so
>  >> far.  In particular, X works correctly.
>
>  > I remember a problem with intel driver
>
> 	The kernel's, or the X.org's one?

He... for intel vga drivers there is no much room for such a difference.
I think it were server-xorg-video-intel.

>  > and fbcon not being loaded that caused X to crash, but maybe this has
>  > already been corrected.
>
> 	To state it explicitly: I haven't tested X with kernel's i915 and
> 	without fbcon — only X without /either/ of i915 and fbcon.
>
> 	I hope to check whether the respective kernel modules can be
> 	“blacklisted” via modprobe.conf(5) shortly.
>
> --cut: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist --
> # This file lists modules which will not be loaded as the result of
> # alias expansion, with the purpose of preventing the hotplug subsystem
> # to load them. It does not affect autoloading of modules by the
> kernel. # This file is provided by the udev package.
> --cut:
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist --

Blacklisting kernel modules does not always work as we expect. If the
module is required it will be loaded regardless it is blacklisted or not.

> 	(But I still wonder, is this the hotplug subsystem that loads the
> 	modules in question, or is it the kernel?)

I'd say is the kernel that calls the hotplug (udev) subsystem which
finally loads the module :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón