Re: disable fbcon in Debian Wheezy (Live)?

 >> How do I disable fbcon in Debian Wheezy?  I'm using a custom Debian
 >> Live image, and it switches to fbcon as soon as it can get to the
 >> modules!

 > (...)

 > What VGA chipset?

 > I would wonder why the right driver cannot be loaded instead.

	It's not the implementation that bothers me at the moment, but
	rather the approach.  VGA console works for me, and I see no
	compelling reason to switch.  Especially given the necessity to
	configure at least the resolution (BTW, I've tried fbset(8), but
	it apparently refuses to set either 640x512 or 1280x1024) and
	the font (though setfont(8) works correctly.)

	Also, I guess that fbcon (in certain configurations) may be
	incompatible with KVM over IP solutions (see, e. g., [1]), and
	while I'm not using one at the time, I'd be hesitant to using
	fbcon on the servers under my control.

[1] http://wiki.metawerx.net/wiki/News

	Moreover, I see that the reboot(8) operation was changed from
	going through the BIOS to re-initialization of just the kernel.
	There, the shutting down kernel instance doesn't switch off to a
	VGA text mode, which is contrary to the assumptions of the
	starting instance, thus resulting in a screwed display for the
	initial stages of the boot process.

	Otherwise, fbcon works pretty much correctly for the case in
	question.  As per lsmod, the driver is i915.

--
FSF associate member #7257