Re: debian sensible browser help

Steve Kleene wrote:
> I should clarify that I am doing all of this from command lines under a
> window manager (fvwm).  When I call startx, the first xterm's settings come
> from ~/.bash_login.  But if I call more xterms from there, any settings in
> ~/.bashrc override those.  This was easily verified by playing with the login
> prompt (PS1).

This is expected due to the fine grained control exposed in bash.
In the bash man page you will find:

       ~/.bash_profile
              The personal initialization file, executed for login shells
       ~/.bashrc
              The individual per-interactive-shell startup file

A very typical thing to do in the ~/.bash_profile is to source the
$HOME/.bashrc file with a snippet similar to the following:

  if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
    . "$HOME/.bashrc"
  fi

Or this following in ~/.profile which needs to be shell portable:

  if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
    # include .bashrc if it exists
    if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
      . "$HOME/.bashrc"
    fi
  fi

Bob

P.S. I am also using fvwm, right now in fact.